6/19 - night at the ball game

So tonight was interesting. i went to an Astros game with my brother, sister-in-law and my nephew. i've been to about a million baseball games. but, there were a lot of things that were different about going to a game four weeks after major jaw surgery. Let's see... i had to battle a drink with a straw. i tried a straw the other day but gave up because it was just too hard and weird.
it is so strange to drink thru a straw. there are still parts of my lip and cheeks that are numb. not to mention the puffy spots that are still a little swollen. so when you factor that all in... the muscles that force your lips to close tightly around a straw don't really play along. i realized that if i use the straw in the corner of my mouth where it's less numb i can be somewhat successful. and on top of all of that i still have my bands in. so the whole sucking in thru your closed teeth tends to be challenging. but all in all i managed. it was pretty exciting. baby steps i say. baby steps. and i will take every one that lies ahead.

then when it came time to eat something i was a little sad. no chicken strips and fries for me. :( my nephew got cheese fries. i took my bands out for a bit and "helped" him eat it all. basically i just kept dipping my fork in the gooey goodness and then licking it off. i have pretty much have given up having proper eating/drinking manners lately. in my little post-surgery world licking cheese off a fork over and over again is perfectly acceptable. haha  and for the record it was the yummiest cheese ever. EVER!

in other weird things... clapping over and over again doesn't feel too good. and i can't whistle. i have mastered whistling in my years of baseball games. but no such luck tonight. not a chance. i have a feeling i should start practicing that. since my jaws are in a different alignment it might be hard. crossing my fingers i get my whistling awesomeness back soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment