6/11 - first orthodontist appointment after surgery

so, today was pretty exciting. i worked all day while worrying what the hell was going to happen at my orthodontist appointment. i left work a little late due to some calls running long. so i hurried over there. i was a bit frazzled when i finally arrived.

but as always i was greeted with a smile. all the ladies there were genuinely excited to see me and to hear how the surgery went. they rock... for lack of a better phrase. i would recommend them to anyone needing braces and such.

at any rate i sat down in my chair and was greeted by my doc. i spoke to her a bit while she was looking over another patient, a young girl. the girl asked me what i had done. i kinda laughed and said that i had jaw surgery. she seemed puzzled then asked how i ate. i told her very carefully thru a little rubber tipped bottle. she was pretty interested. then the doc told her to tell me about her surgery. WHAT!! she is so young. they then told me she had a cleft palate. i said wow and told her how much stronger she is then me. then we shared a "braces are cool" moment. i practically high fived her.

ironically, the bands are called "tortoise" haha
i collect turtles and my mom raises them. so
i took it as a good sign.
then the fun began. doc checked me out and said she was very pleased on how things looked. she said she was excited to get the bands off and start tweaking the teeth. she asked me if the surgeon had changed my bands, or is having me change them. i said, "oh hell no." then she said she wants to change them. she explained how over time the bands loose their strength and need to be replaced. she then gave me a bag of bands to use.

i guess i looked a little like a deer in the headlights. she asked me if i wanted her to change them. i promptly said, "oh hell yes!" so she did. it was so weird. she took them off and for a minute i was not banded shut. i was so afraid i didn't even open my mouth. haha.

then she put the new ones on. and then the tension was right back to where i began. OUCH!! i could totally tell the difference. wow. she told me to change them every two days until i don't have to wear them anymore. joy. that should be fun.


that was pretty much it. i worried all day for nothing.
i'm such a baby. :)


and yes, it was a vicodin and oragel kind of night.



No comments:

Post a Comment