11/16 - brace face

yep. it's that time. 9am appointment to get my braces. i stopped for an egg/cheese biscuit along the way. i kinda treated it as a reward/last meal before i get my new hard wear.

I felt so weird walking into the orthodontist. there were several kids in there for appointments. i felt a little old. but the staff if super friendly which helped a lot. the staff was actually dressed in mix-matched clothes. They said it's something fun they do for the kids. funny how i really got a kick out of it.


Orthodontist: Dr. Carin Domann
www.townandcountryortho.com

Braces: http://empowerbraces.com/ 

They are using some new fancy brackets on me. remember how they had those tiny little elastic bands that would go around each bracket?? Well not with Empower brackets. they are basically little cages that have hinges. they are opened and the wire is placed. Then they just snap the cage shut. super easy. the doc called them Ferrari brackets... super fast and top notch. pretty cool if you ask me. i did see a little sample wheel of all the colors that the traditional rubber bands come in for those going the traditional route. that could have been fun!

They spent over an hour taking pictures, scans and molds. I'll load the picts later when i get some more taken so we can compare. but here's a new scan they did take. i love medical images.

i also asked to keep the lower fixed retainer that they popped out. that thing has been in my mouth for around 20 years. that's crazy to me. i am sure at some point i will have collected enough things along this journey to do some art piece. yay!

Here's two scans from today:


I went back to work right around lunch time. there were a few jokes made at my expense. but i expected it. i would be cracking jokes at co-workers if the roles were reversed for sure.


I decided to eat some mashed potatoes...
and chased it with a big piece of red velvet cake. :)
I invited my gals of for a braces pity party. On the menu… mac-n-cheese, chocolate cream pie and wine. I really know how to throw a party!!

They surprised me with a ton of great things to help me with my new adventure: wine, pudding cups, two packets of instant mashed potatoes, two types of ice cream, jello mix, chocolate mousse mix and several boxes of my favorite pastas. Man, I’m a lucky gal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment